Jeff Green | Feb 15, 2007
Feature Article - February 15, 2007
Back toHomeFeature Article - February 15, 2007
Central Frontenac council meets, and keeps meetingby Jeff Green
Central Frontenac Council met for almost four hours this past Monday night before going into closed session. Council had a heavy agenda to deal with, with three delegations, and a 30-minute presentation on site plan control from planner Glenn Tunnock.
CP trail revisited Councilor Frances Smith pointed out, for the benefit of the newly elected councilors, that several years ago council agreed to purchase the stretch of former CP rail line that runs across the township in an east west direction parallel to Highway 7. “We paid $35,000 for it, but opted out because of fencing costs we might be facing,” Smith told council.
Changes have recently been announced to the Ontario Line Fences Act which could make the trail viable again for the township. “I think we might consider opting back in. It won’t cost us anything because we’ve already paid the money,” Frances Smith suggested.
It was decided that staff will research the possibility of the township opting back into the CP trail, and will bring back a report next month.
Manco and recycling The township has a received a proposal for next year’s service from Manco, the recycling company that it has contracted with over the past few years. A letter was also received from Dennis Scott, expressing interest in providing hauling service.
The terms proposed by Manco, along with the information that there have been problems with missed pickups over the past year, led Councilor John Purdon to say “it might be time to look at other contractors”.
Staff was given direction to do so.
Public Works Manager on leave It was revealed that the public works manager has been on leave for unspecified reasons for the past month. Acting Clerk Administrator John Duchene said after the meeting that he is hoping to find out by the end of this week whether it will be a short term situation.
Demolition blues “Frankly, that building scares the pants off of me,” said the township’s chief building officer Ian Trickett in referring to the Oso Fire Hall, which should be vacated by the end of February as the new fire hall comes on stream. Trickett recommended that a tender be opened for demolition of the building, with a stipulation that the work be completed no later than May 1st.
Councilor Gary Smith wanted to know how it is that the fire hall was allowed to deteriorate to this point. “Who has the responsibility for looking at these buildings?” he asked.
“I think all of the buildings come under public works,” Trickett replied.
“Do we need a plan for regular inspection of our major buildings?” Smith asked.
“That wouldn’t be a bad idea,” responded Trickett.
Ian Trickett then said that he hopes that the demolition can be completed without damaging the large cistern that is buried underneath it.
“The fire department wants us to try to keep the cistern, which is quite large,” he said, “and I don’t see why that can’t happen.”
Mountain Grove fire hall Council received a short report from Fire Chief Mark MacDonald, which stated that he has net with Cornerstone Builders at the site of the proposed Mountain Grove hall, along with the deputy and assistant deputy chief from the Olden fire crew.
“Cornerstone expects to have a draft design and cost estimate completed in approximately two weeks” the report concludes.
Mayor Gutowski then reported that she visited the nearly completed Sharbot Lake fire hall late last week, which is being built by Cornerstone. “I was very impressed with the work that was done,” she said, “I have to commend our fire chief. When he took on the job of temporary fire chief he didn’t know that two fire halls would have to be built in less than a year. We really should recognise the work that he has done.”Septic confusion At council’s previous meeting, staff was instructed to obtain design and build quotations from area contractors for the septic systems at the two new fire halls.
John Duchene brought back a report saying that after consulting the chief building officer it was determined “that the design/build approach may cause variations in design and associated construction requirements that would make the selection process difficult.”
Duchene recommended that the engineering firm, McIntosh Perry be retained to provide septic system designs for a cost of $3,000 for each system.
Councillor Jeff Matson then handed over a set of plans for a septic system, saying, “I drew up these plans. You can have them for free. They will be acceptable to the health inspectors.”
Councillor Frances Smith then said “I think you are putting yourself into a bad position, Jeff.”
“I don’t think so,” Matson responded, “no tender has been issued, so I can’t be accused of any kind of conflict of interest.”
“That brings us back to where we started,” said Smith, “having contractors design the system, and then bid on it.”
“To me, if we can save $6,000, we should do it,” said Councilor Norm Guntensperger.
“I think we have some time,” said acting CAO John Duchene. “I’d like to consult with the chief building officer and bring this back.”
The proposal to hire McIntosh Perry was deferred.Other Stories this Week View RSS feed