Craig Bakay and Jeff Green | Feb 13, 2019

The Sharbot Lake Legion was the scene of what organisers called a “peaceful protest” Sunday.

At least four members of Kingston Creep Watchers, a group who protests against organizations they say support convicted sex offenders, were on hand across the street from the Legion Hall carrying signs. Brooks is listed as one of two administrators on the Kingston Creep Watchers Facebook page.

At issue was the presence of a Sharbot Lake area man who was convicted in 2006 of sexually interference on a minor and in 2010 of breaching a 161 probation order.

The 2006 order, which is in effect for life, prohibits him from public spaces where children may be present. The order was amended, however, in August of 2018, and he is now permitted to be in public spaces as long as he is accompanied by and remains within sight of a supervising adult.

The second clause of the 2006 order, which has not been amended, states that he is prohibited from “seeking, or obtaining, or continuing any employment, whether or not the employment is remunerated, or becoming or being a volunteer in a capacity that involves being in a position of trust or authority towards persons under the age of fourteen years.”

On Sunday, the Legion was hosting what they called “Live Music & Dance.”

The man sang at the end of the event but also ran the sound board for at least some of the event. There were no children under the age of 14 at the event.

Police did attend at the Legion but left without incident.

Legion President June Crawford said that event organisers were aware the protesters were coming.

“We gave them as cordial a reception as possible, even though they didn’t identify themselves when they arrived. We let them on our property and one of them came in. We told her that she’d have to make a donation in order to stay, which she did.

“She sat down, had a beer and even won a door prize,” Crawford said.

Crawford said it was not the Legion who called the police, but when the officers arrived, she spoke with them.

“I told the police that I was aware of the parameters the individual is under and when they asked, I told them my understanding of what his parameters were.

“Everything was copacetic and they left.”

The police did come back a second time, which Brooks mentions on her Facebook page, after being called by a member of her group who alleged one of their members had been assaulted.

The police returned but left shortly after.

The Legion Sgt.-at-Arms then asked the protestors to leave, which they did, moving to the bottom of the hill on public property.

(Editors note - This article was edited from the original, publishes on February 14, 2019,  which had the wrong phrasing for the 2006 conviction)

Support local
independant journalism by becoming a patron of the Frontenac News.