Jeff Green | Nov 16, 2006
Feature Article - November 16, 2006
Back toHomeFeature Article - November 16, 2006
Students going bald for cancer
Madi Van Camp of Verona was minding her own business when she happened to hear her mother Nicki talking to Brenda York on the phone. Brenda lives in Toronto , but she and Nicki have been friends since they went to public school in Verona . They were talking about how Brenda is going to lose her hair as the result of cancer treatments she will be undergoing at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto .
This got Madi thinking.
Almost immediately, she came up with the idea of shaving her own head in solidarity. So, Madi and her own friend Celina Grey, Grade 5 students in Ms. LeDuc’s class at Prince Charles’ school, are collecting donations to the Princess Margaret hospital, and when they reach their goal of $500, their heads will be shorn. They hope this will happen before Christmas.
To help make Madi and Celina bald-headed, go to Verona Hardware to pick up a pledge sheet. Donations of $15 or more will be eligible for a tax receipt from Princess Margaret.Other Stories this Week View RSS feed
- Frontenac Paramedic Services opts for continuity in leadership as the future becomes uncertain
- Pen pal correspondence has continued for 82 years
- Conservation Authorities face 50% funding cut
- Ambulance service was a big part of amalgamation talks, says former Warden
- Cuts to Library funding forces end to inter-library loan service