Jeff Green | Jan 23, 2013
Even as a cold snap was setting in at the Flinton Recreation Centre on Monday, Jan. 21, all thoughts were focused on a steamy June night as the committee organizing the return of the Flinton Relay held their first meeting of the year.
The committee took a year off after the 2011 relay, which raised a staggering $130,000, and while they have set a more modest target of $70,000 this year, they do expect to entice between 30 and 35 teams to join in. There were 35 teams in the 2011 Flinton Relay.
The committee will be led by co-chairs Carolyn Hasler and Donna Wood this year, and a number of the area chairs are back from 2011, including: Sue Tobia (luminiarias), Sherry Tebo (Survivors), James Wood (logistics and facilities), Edna and Bethany Lessard (events), Brian Whitelock (volunteers), Beth Hasler, (registration/recruitment), and Janice Andrew (Finance)
The meeting this week drew 27 people, and organisational meetings will be held monthly from now on, starting on February 13 at 7:00 pm at the Rec. Centre.
- Frontenac Paramedic Services opts for continuity in leadership as the future becomes uncertain
- Pen pal correspondence has continued for 82 years
- Conservation Authorities face 50% funding cut
- Ambulance service was a big part of amalgamation talks, says former Warden
- Cuts to Library funding forces end to inter-library loan service