Julie Druker | Sep 13, 2012
Photo: original oil painting by Don Wise commemorating the five United Churches of Harlowe, Flinton, Kaladar, Northbrook and Cloyne
In a special third anniversary service for the Land O'Lakes Emmanuel United Church on Sept. 9 at the Cloyne United Church, painter Don Wise unveiled a painting he created to remember the five churches, Flinton, Northbrook, Kaladar, Harlowe and Cloyne, which once made up the pastoral charge. Now, just the Cloyne church remains though it has been up for sale for the last year. The Harlowe and Flinton churches have been closed and sold; the Northbrook church while still owned is used as a clothing boutique; and the Kaladar church has been out of use for a number of years and is currently used as an apartment residence. While a committee has been appointed to undertake relocating the congregation elsewhere, it was felt that now would be a good time to create an artwork that could commemorate the five buildings before the last is gone.
- Health Unit raises the alarm over radon in KFL&A
- “I was like a fly to his fly-paper,” North Frontenac land developer David Hill says of Gypsy Villas in fraud trial
- Freak lightning strike triggers first response in South Frontenac
- The butterfly lady of Inverary
- Parham Fair carries on regardless of the weather