Jeff Green | Mar 13, 2008
Feature Article - March 13, 2008
Back toHomeFeature Article - March 13, 2008 Sharbot Lake High School 60th Anniversary
Sharbot Lake High School opened its doors in September 1948. A lot of hard work by people such as Mrs. Nina Simonett, Mr. H.J. Thompson, and Dr.C.J. Whytock was necessary to bring a high school to North Frontenac.
While hundred of district residents and visitors looked on, the Hon. Dana Porter, Ontario Minister of Education, officially opened the new five-room high school.
With 79 students in attendance that first day of school, students had to learn which door the students went in, and which door only teaching staff could use. At 9:15 Mr. Babcock, the principal, gathered the entire student body in the largest room in the new school, which was the Home Economics room ; it was at the north end of the school and had two large windows overlooking highway 38. Mr. Babcock introduced the new teachers, Mr. Ramsey, Ms. Betty Stewart, Ms. Nancy Hunter, Mr. Rule, Mr. Menzies, and Mrs. Slingerland, and the secretary, Mrs. Ramsay.
The next 60 years would see many changes at S.L.H.S. A second story would be added, new auto, electrical and wood shops, and a gymnasium, which would become the cafeteria when a new gymnasium was added in the late 60's.
Thousands of students and hundreds of staff have walked the halls of S.L.H.S. over the past 60 years. If you are a former staff or student and would like to get involved in the celebrations for the 60th anniversary please come to a meeting on April 1, 2008 at 7:00 p.m. in the auditorium. For more information please contact Dianne Lake 613-279-2131